The average age for teething in children is between six to twelve months. With teeth, comes the ability to crunch and chomp down new, solid foods. But what exactly can you feed your baby?
Foods for your Twelve Month Old Baby
There is no need to stress about preparing special food for your 1 year old. Whatever the rest of your family eats can be eaten by them too! You only need to take care to avoid as much salt in the food as possible. Of course, this does rule out most take-away and restaurant food as they usually contain a lot of salt.
All time classic! Cereals like flaked corn get softened by milk and easy to digest. As much as possible, try to get whole grain cereal!
Cut up cucumbers are a rejuvenating snack anytime of the day! For your baby’s ease, the best way to cut them is lengthwise, making “cucumber-sticks” shaped like French fries. If it’s a hot summer day, a few cucumbers can easily prevent dehydration.
Dal is packed with protein which helps in muscle development. Dal curry can be eaten with rice or chapatti and it doesn’t have a strong flavour. When eating with chappatis, be sure to cut up the chapatti into little nibble size pieces.
4. Vegetable Soup
It’s easy to feed your 1 yr old and it contains the goodness of all the vegetables you add in it! For instance, carrot soup would be good for the eyes and potatoes contain fibre.
Soya granules are quickly becoming a standard substitute source of protein for pure vegetarians. The soft texture it becomes after cooking makes it an ideal food choice for babies.
A regular food for the family that can easily be eaten by the baby too! The stuffing of vegetables or paneer makes it a balanced meal.
Be careful to buy organic chicken, or chicken that is certified to be free of hormonal treatments. Over cooking the chicken to make it softer is a good idea for your toddler. Also, avoid strongly spicy flavourings and tear the cooked meat into tiny bits, removing the bones before your feed it to your child.
When preparing fish, always remember that frying it makes it lose a lot of its nutritional value, when opposed to using it in a curry. Like chicken, and indeed, more so, be very careful to tear off the meat n make sure no bones remain before you feed your child with it. Even the fine bones found in sea fish can get stuck in a toddler’s throat!
1 Year Old Baby Food Chart/Feeding Schedule
When planning your 12 month baby food schedule you do not have to go out of the way from your usual foods. If your weekly eating pattern has turned monotonous, this may be a good time to add a bit of colour to it, as your baby and you both need a well rounded, balanced diet. Here is a sample baby food chart:
|Starter||Breakfast||Second Breakfast||Luncheon||Afternoon||Dinner||Late night|
|Sunday||Breast Milk / Formula||Puri Bhajji||Watermelon Scoops||Khichdi||Cheese pieces||Barley Porridge||Breast Milk / Formula|
|Monday||Breast Milk / Formula||Besan ka Chilla||Banana slices||Chappati and dal||Bread rolls||Paneer parantha||Breast Milk / Formula|
|Tuesday||Breast Milk / Formula||Egg Sandwich||Fried Apple rings||Curd rice||Ragi Laddu||Masoor dal kichdi with curd||Breast Milk / Formula|
|Wednesday||Breast Milk / Formula||Caulifower parantha||Cucumber sticks||Rajma Rice||Banana Shake||Cereal with milk||Breast Milk / Formula|
|Thursday||Breast Milk / Formula||Idli||Ragi dosa||Kadhi Chawal||Chicken curry rice||Steamed Dosa||Breast Milk / Formula|
|Friday||Breast Milk / Formula||Chapatti with soya chunks curried||Halved grapes||Mixed Veg Kichdi||Apple shake||Chicken soup||Breast Milk / Formula|
|Saturday||Breast Milk / Formula||Aloo parantha||Cereal with milk||Rich with fish||French Toast||Rice with Egg Curry||Breast Milk / Formula|
Best Baby Food Recipes for 1 Year Old
Make sure you get the chance to prepare the following dishes for your young one :
1. Fried Apple Rings Recipe
A quick, sweet snack!
- 1 Apple
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- A pinch of salt
How to Prepare
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and set aside.
- Mix egg and buttermilk in a separate bowl.
- Slice the apple into 1/4 inch thick slices discarding the core.
- Mix the 2 bowls and dip the apple rings in them and deep fry them.
You can also coat the fried pieces with powdered sugar for older kids!
2. Besan Parantha Recipe
The high protein content in besan a.k.a chickpeas and the carbohydrates in paranthas make this a balanced way to start the day!
- Whole wheat dough
- 2 tbsp besan
- 1/2 chopped onion
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp carrom seeds
- 3-4 tsp oil
How to Prepare
- Mix besan, onion, coriander powder, chopped coriander, carom seeds and garam masala.
- Knead this mixture into a dough wth a bit of oil. (Do not add water!)
- Use the wheat dough to make a chapatti and use the besan dough as filling.
- Cook on a tawa with ghee.
- Serve with butter or curd.
3. Ragi Laddu Recipe
Ragi is rich in iron and it can help prevent anaemia by improving haemoglobin levels.
- 1 kg –Ragi Powder
- 1/2 kg – Powdered sugar
- 1/2 kg – Pure ghee
- Few Almond + cashew finely chopped
- 2 cardamom powdered
How to Prepare
- Heat 250gms ghee in a pan and add the ragi powder to it.
- Keep roasting on low flame for almost 45 mins till it becomes darker brown.
- Add rest of ghee, chopped dry fruitsand cardamom powder.
- Fry for more 10 mins on low flame .
- After it has cooled down, add powered sugar and mix well.
- Shape into balls to form ragi laddoo!
4. Plain Khichdi Recipe
Khichdi is easy to make and can be made with many different bases, such as tomato khichdi, carrot khichdi, spinach khichdi, etc. Khichdi is traditionally known to be one of the first solid foods eaten by babies.
- 2/3 cup rice
- 1/3 cup moong or toor dal
- Garlic – 2 optional
- Hing – optional
How to Prepare
- Wash and soak the rice and dal in water for half an hour.
- Drain the water.
- Cook all the ingredients in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water.
- Serve with ghee
5. French Toast Recipe
A quickly readied snack suited for mornings and afternoons. Did you know that in most European languages other than English, the name for French toast, translates, literally, to “Poor Knights”?
- 2 slices brown bread
- 1 egg
- 1 small pureed banana
- ½ cup milk
How to Prepare
- Mix together milk, pureed banana and egg.
- Beat the mixture well to a runny consistency.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Dip bread piece into mixture and fry.
- When using homemade baby food recipes for 1 year old do not be afraid to go for variety! Some doctors believe staying with the same food for long can lead to them becoming fussy eaters.
- The “drawback” of going for a large variety of foods, is the increase in possibility of your child ingesting some food that they may be allergic to. In most developed countries ,allergy tests are a part of due medical process for babies. We would suggest you look into the options for the same!
- Do not jump from liquid to solid food. Take it slow. Move from softer textures to semi-solid foods before going on to solid foods.
- The best time of day to feed your baby solid foods is when they have just woken up in the morning or from a nap and are high on energy!
- Do not disregard the advantage of having a high chair to feed a baby. Not only is your baby safe and secure, but it is ergonomically easier on your back too – much needed after 9 months of pregnancy and a year of picking up after your infant!
- Its never too late to create a taste for healthy food for 1 year old baby. It can take up to 15 tries before a child tries a new food. So, if they didn’t eat their carrots on Monday, don’t hold back from trying on Wednesday, and even next week!
Eating healthy isn’t a chore; it’s a habit. And there’s no better time to start eating healthy, than when you literally start eating.